Monday, July 26, 2010

My mother frequently corresponds with her cousin who is a (conservative) political blogger and Yale graduate. He additionally enjoys researching our family tree, so I have been learning much about my family and enigmatic grandmother, Conora (not to be confused with Corona). (Note: my mother's side of the family seems to have a plethora of geniuses and males who have become lawyers, engineers, Yale grads, and other prolific career holders. Interesting that such logical and analytical creatures would dominate my familial tree considering my critical thinking crises. I digress.)

I always thought we spelled Conora with a K-- "Konora;" however, Mr. Zincavage (my second cousin) informed us that it is with a "C." She is of Russian descent; her mother, Anna, was from there, and her father, Victor, was from Poland. She changed her name a few times and holed herself up in her suburban Philadelphia home, and friends of mine suggest that her true identity was that of a Soviet spy (apparently there was an abundance of them tucked away here-- who knew). I know very little of my grandmother's true identity, but I do now she enjoyed putting pink curlers in my hair, watching TV, and evidently drowning out the world around her in a whirl of liquor and cigarettes (though I do not have any recollection of this, really). Today David sent us an e-mail that said the following (which made me chuckle a tidbit): "My mother's family was loaded with drunks. [Some were] bombed every day without fail."

It's funny though, perhaps because of childhood innocence, I mostly remember my grandmother in a good light. I do not remember the substances, the name changes, the scandals (if there were any); I do remember the curlers, the fascination with her furniture, and, sadly, the ghastly stroke she had that ended her life when I was ten. I would like to learn more, and maybe I will share what I do . . .

But I should probably end this post before my ramblings turn into something more dangerous, like my current dating woes. Does anybody else feel like you're playing deal or no deal when it comes to relationships?

That should be saved for another post. Adieu . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment